Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Alone in a Crowd

Fellow capsuleer Rettic has caught the Wanderlust bug himself, and he asks:
What do you think is the right situation for flying solo, if there is such a thing? Are there times when you prefer it?
This question brought me back to the beginning of my own experiment in dealing with ennui, which I've been attempting to chronicle lo these many (erm, just two or three) months. When I plunged into that first wormhole in Maut, I expected that, whatever happened, it would be a lonely experience. The record shows (and will continue to show as I get around to updating it) that it was not. If Rettic does it right, he can expect a steady stream of chance encounters that will weave a web of new relationships, both friendly and not-so-friendly.

Sure, these connections won't necessarily be as strong as the ones you've formed in a corp. That's why you need to make an effort to keep old friendships alive and create new ones: Join a public channel filled with old corpmates (for me it's Semsopub), or create your own channel, or sign up for one of the many profession-relevant channels out there - like WH Colonists, if wormhole exploration is your game.

The most important advice I can give to a capsuleer looking to go solo is to mix it up, leap before looking, dare to be stupid, etc. Sure, you'll lose some shiny ships, but you'll learn so much more than you will if you just play it safe. This is not an easy lesson; the Lord knows I'm still learning it myself. But the more you exercise your crazypants muscles, the more you'll get out of your pilot's license.

The answer to Rettic's question is that any time is the right time for solo work, if your ennui tank is full. So don't panic: When you've had time to work through these issues and empty that tank, your friends and enemies (and maybe even some new ones) will be waiting for you.

2 comments:

  1. "The most important advice I can give to a capsuleer looking to go solo is to mix it up, leap before looking, dare to be stupid, etc."

    I needed to hear this. Welcome to the blog pack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news! And thanks for stopping by. A new post on "How Not to Fit a POS" is coming up soon (TM).

    ReplyDelete