Monday, March 8, 2010

The Watchers

Received: from 126.46.13.600 by EXVBE010-1.exch010.XSN.galnet via ImproTech Exchange Server;
 Mon,  8 Mar YC 112 17:19:26 +0000
User-Agent: Clienne Asier
Date: Mon, 08 Mar YC 112 12:20:25 -0500
Subject: Applied Physics Institute surveillance
From: Clienne.Asier
To: <*Masked Recipient*>
Message-ID:
Thread-Topic: Academy of Aggressive Behavior research on capsuleer population of New Eden
Thread-Index: Acq+4X0lu8nmSirUEd+3UF452HGWAVyzCAAAyXeQ=
In-Reply-To: <*Masked Sender*>
Mime-version: 1.0
Content-type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="B_3350895624_111039346"

Dear Sir,

Pursuant to Directorate reconnaissance and surveillance policy, I submit to you the following transcript from a recording made by one of our self-assembling spyweb video units, hidden aboard an Amarrian shuttlecraft in the Applied Physics Institute's Ship Maintenance Array in w-space system J124654:

[Rolinthor enters shuttle, followed by Rol Prime]
Rolinthor (R): What's this all about, Prime? And why do we have to do this in a shuttle? You know my feelings on skullduggery.
Rol Prime: (RP): I understand, sir. It's just that...well, I found something: a spycam, I think.
R: A spy, eh? Ok, ok, I follow you. Best not to let on to the crew we know, and all that. I wouldn't be too concerned about it, though. We've got safeguards against corporate theft.
RP: I'm afraid it's not so simple as that. I was cleaning out some of the hardware in the refinery control room today when I spotted a whole heap of cobwebs on one of the motherboards in the CPU cases. I didn't really think much about it. Just removed it and threw it in the dustbin. And then it hit me: spiders make cobwebs, and ...
R: ...and how the hell would a spider get aboard the refinery? We did a clean "anchor and install" in interstellar vacuum. Total sterility protocols.
RP: Right, which is why I got suspicious too. So I took it into the lab and had a look at it. They're not cobwebs at all. Not even a biologic, or at least not what we would think of as organic. As best I can make out, it's a byproduct of a nanoscale self-assembler of some kind. Highly advanced.
R: Like how "advanced"?
RP: As in none of the four empires could put something like this together.
R: As in Jove?
RP: Bingo. But remember, you said it, not me. And if that news isn't enough to disturb your delicate sense of calm, then get a load of this: It's broadcasting a quantum-band signal that I still can't figure out how to trace.
R: Trace it? Rex's blood! Whatever you do, don't try to trace it!

[Sir, forgive the intrusion, but at this point you may find it interesting to note the changes in vocal and maxillofacial characteristics affecting Rolinthor in the accompanying video and audio file.]

RP: Why not?
R: If the Jovians want to spy on APHID, they can bloody well spy on APHID. It's none of our concern. In fact, just flash-fry all that stuff in the lab, delete the records, and hell, throw out and destroy any storage medium that had any contact whatsoever with those webs.
RP: But sir. I can't be so sure about my analysis. Aren't we being a little paranoid?
R: Stop thinking, Prime. Start doing. Just get it done.
[Rolinthor leaves shuttle. Rol Prime remains silently for a few more moments and then exits the shuttle as well.]

As you can see, sir, we may now find it necessary to accelerate the schedule. Our team stands ready. I await only your orders. I remain as always,

Your Trusted Servant,
Clienne


Received: from 126.46.13.600 by EXVBE010-1.exch010.XSN.galnet via ImproTech Exchange Server;
 Mon,  8 Mar YC 112 12:29:26 +0500
User-Agent Hidden
Date: Mon, 08 Mar YC 112 17:30:24 +0000
Subject: Applied Physics Institute surveillance
From: <*Masked Recipient*> 
To: Clienne.Asier
Message-ID:
Thread-Topic: Academy of Aggressive Behavior research on capsuleer population of New Eden
Thread-Index: Acq+4X0lu8nmSirUEd+3UF452HGWAVyzCAAAyXeQ=
In-Reply-To: Clienne.Asier
Mime-version: 1.0
Content-type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="B_3350895624_111039346"


My Dear Clienne,

Maintain surveillance. Take no action.

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment